The Sanctuary of St. Mary Queen of Anglona near the village of Tursi is all that remains of the ancient city of Anglona. The cathedral has been raised between the XI and the XII century as an extension to an ancient church, dating back to the VII-VIII century. In his episcopal seat 20 November 1092 visited Pope Urban II.
Until the fifties the hill was attended by peasants, shepherds and the locals who used the premises outside the sanctuary as accommodation, refuge, deposit and even as stables. The place was crowded with people only on feast days. Subsequently, after the excavations in the area, the attentions of the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage rose and with it the flow of pilgrims, scholars and visitors. The current structure of the sanctuary, dated between the XI century and the XII century, is the enlargement of a first church of VII-VIII century. The construction in tuff and travertine, has architectural elements of major importance such as the apse, the bell tower and the Romanesque portal. The exterior of the apse is surely the most color and more refined of the entire building, you can admire ornaments with notches, hanging arches, pilasters and a large window central adorned. On the external walls numerous tiles with figures of animals in relief, of unknown origin, creates a really impressive. The roof is a more pitches and Harmony of volumes, confer to the Shrine a pleasant appearance and impressive.