the construction, in 1524, the Caprarica Castle, in the homonymous district of Tricase, was a result of the climate of danger that has prevailed in the aftermath of the sack of Otranto by the Turks in 1480 and of the raids that followed.
A time surrounded by a moat, the castle is a rectangular plan. The walls, high from 6 to 7 meters thick and 1.40 meters, are formed in irregular ashlars of carparo bruno and have a robust marcapiano Toro. Surmounted by small corbels supporting the upper frame, are reinforced at the corners by circular towers with base escarpment. The severe portal is defended by a triple chute. Inside there were several environments: four rooms on the ground floor, six upstairs, warehouses and cellars. Inside the walls were also placed a garden and tanks for water supply.
At the beginning of the Twentieth Century, it was still possible to discern traces of frescoes and of brackets figurate of the small inner chapel dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, sometimes referred to as the chapel of San Cristoforo, probably identifiable with a compartment with time costolonata supported by columns leaned to the masonry. The castle was used as a masseria at the end of the Nineteenth Century.