The ancient parish church of Santa Maria Assunta in Camogli was built in the XII century on a rock - Island in the immediate vicinity of the marina del borgo marinaro. The structure has suffered over the years various interventions and extensions, species in the XVI century and the first decades of the nineteenth century, modifying in part the original religious structure. The building was consecrated in 1826 and in 1988 Pope John Paul II has raised to the rank of Minor Basilica.
The inside of the religious structure consists of three naves - architectural style baroque - and is entirely coated with precious stuccoes in gold, polychrome marbles as well as the baptistery and crystal chandeliers. In time are preserved some frescoes from the end of the nineteenth century to the work of painters Nicolò Barabino and Francesco Semino. The high altar was made by the sculptor Andrea Casareggio, while the wooden choir dating back to the Sixteenth Century. In the premises of the sacristy is a deposition of the painter Luca Cambiaso.