For its strategic position, Vieste was always one of the greatest landmarks of defense of the Gargano and preserved until 1846 the title of Piazza d'Armi. All the rulers of the Kingdom of southern Italy, Normans to the Bourbons have always held in the highest regard this advanced place of the Adriatic. The castle, that dominates with its imposing the medieval district is traced back to the second half of the XI century, when the count of Vieste was the Norman Robert Drengot. Distinguishes itself from the buildings and the surrounding landscape for its brown color, and stands overlooking the calcareous rocks overlooking the sea. It is a triangular, accompanied the corners (North. East and West) of three bastions at the tip of the lance, which incorporate the most ancient with a circular base. To the south instead, on the limit of the high cliff of the coast, stood the factory with the chapel, a series of houses and a small sixteenth-century bastion. During the struggles between the Papacy and Federico II (1240), suffered with the city, by the Venetians, considerable damage. It is currently used by the Italian Navy.