The ancient nucleus of the Collegiate church of Santa Maria Maddalena of Morano Calabro, back to 1097, stood outside the medieval walls as small suburban chapel. Having regard to the limitations architectural structure and for the increased number of faithful, it was enlarged in the plan is a latin cross with three naves at the behest of the provost don Giuseppe La Pilosella in the second half of the XVI century. In times remodeled until the first half of the XVIII century, assumed the title of Collegiate on 3 February 1737 with the bull of Pope Clement XII. In 1732 began further restorations in the course of which the decorations late baroque commissioned Donato Sarnicola conferred within a majestic appearance, to suggest that it is one of the examples più senior of the Calabrian baroque. The bell tower (1817) and the dome (1794) were coated with characteristic majolica in yellow and green campano style in 1862. The facade was completed in the 40's of the XIX century in Neoclassic style. Divided into two levels divided by a stringcourse constituted by triglifi and metopes with classical symbologies, the lower level is divided by six Doric pilasters, the upper level, supported by four Ionic pilaster strips are contoured in spaces garlands, rises carrying on the pediment of the arms of the family Spinelli of Scalea. Today the building preserves the original plan in the shape of a Latin cross, with in the side naves, five chapels for side divided into bays surmounted by small domes, while the nave has a barrel vault where overlook ten windows.
covered by a rare coffered ceiling of local craftsmanship of the late sixteenth century belonging to the ancient sacred kit, in the sacristy there is a case for sacred oils in marble of the 500. Are also kept numerous relics of saints, among which a stone of the Holy Sepulchre and a footprint of the sandal of S. Francesco da Paola left on a rock of Mount Sant'Angelo in the act of blessing the Calabria before traveling to France.
Bartolomeo Vivarini's Polyptych
The work was realized in 1477 by the Venetian painter Bartolomeo Vivarini for the citizen Monastery of San Bernardino da Siena. After various smuggling attempts and an accurate restoration, from 1995 the Polyptych is guarded near the Chapel of San Silvestro, in the sacristy of the Collegiate Church of the Maddalena. Work among the most representative of Vivarini, is the only witness of the Venetian artist in Calabria together with a triptych is preserved in the church of San Giorgio in Zumpano and executed in 1480. The polyptych of Morano belongs to maturity of Vivarini, and with particular regard to his previous works, affected by the influence of Painting by Giovanni Bellini and in some detail - as the delicate drapery of the plies of the Virgin and of its posture in the throne or in the balance of volumes - the influence of Antonello da Messina.