the cave of Sant'Angelo with the annexd monastery of Sant'Angelo is also situated nearby the cave with the Hermitage of Sant'Agata di Palombaro. The first news undoubted is of 1447 with the numbering of fires in the Valley of the Sangro when you mentioned a certain "Margarita priorpis concubine Sancti Angeli de Monte". Some of the characteristics of the cave did so that, at the time of the Lombards was born the idea to build a monastery of San Michele Arcangelo, which was then made to build by Roberto from Salle. In the thirteenth century was built the monastery of Sant'Angelo.
Entrance to the cave is very impervious and steep. The small cell perhaps was provided with a small window on the side of the valley. A hallway was perhaps the inhabited part since it was flatter. A staircase of access dug in the rock there allowed the entrance at which it has been realized, always digging the rock, a holy water stoup. Anciently the entrance was closed at the front by means of a thick wall. Other structures remain a small wooden kiosk. In the bottom and sides of the wayside shrine there were painted Sant'Angelo, San Benedetto and Pietro da Morrone, paintings now disappeared. A tank is situated near a wall in which was conveyed a water vein while in a small source is born of musk.