Castello Svevo is the symbol of Termoli. It was probably built by Normans in the 11th century, on a prior Lombard defensive tower. In 1247, it was renovated by Frederick II of Swabia (Svevia in Italian), the famous emperor after whom the castle is named.
His structure has its own particular style: it is made of one tower that leans on a square truncated pyramid; on each of the four corners, other cylindrical jutting towers stand up.
The castle was mainly constructed on the north side near the sea: this means that it had a sighting function but it also played a defensive role. The lower part of the castle served as storage and warehouse, whereas the higher part was the inhabitable area, but also had a defensive function.
On the first floor, we find the so-called “Archers’ corridor”: there, the several arrow slits allowed archers and arbalesters to hit the enemies from above. Here, in ancient times, there was the only entrance to the castle, on the north-east side: the remaining parts of the drawbridge are still visible today.
In 1885, Svevo Castle was declared monument of national interest and classified as regional museum.