Churburg Castle, near Glorenza, was built toward the middle of 1200. The constructions of the Romanesque period, the most ancient nucleus of the castle is formed by the male placed upstream to the south from the palace with a rectangular plan and by the boundary wall that surrounds a large internal courtyard. Of the ancient tower in front of the castle, known as Pfaffeneck and next to which passes the old access road, remained standing only the foundations, being the tower itself was destroyed in 1358.
The construction of the Gothic period up to the beginning of the sixteenth century the castle maintained its high medieval appearance. With the passage of ownership in the early years of the sixteenth century began extensive renovation and new building, such as for example the outdoor courtyard and the terraces of the garden and the ramparts. Between the palace and the male are inserted more residential buildings, grouped around a large courtyard, whose upper surface is surrounded by a portico. The palace is raised with a wall spartifuoco and equipped with battlements; on the southern side was added a ledge and on the ground floor there is an environment in late gothic style.
The Churburg becomes a Renaissance castle in the second half of the sixteenth century the ancient castle was transformed into a rich Renaissance residence. In the eighteenth century it proceeds to refurbish and enlargement of the third floor of the building as accommodation for guests, with upholstery biblical reasons and stoves of enamelled ceramics. The staircase that leads to the so-called Sala Matsch replaces a previous scale linking the loggia with the third floor of the north wing.
From 20 March until 31 October: 10-12, 14-16.30
Guided tours every 15 minutes
Closed Mondays, except holidays
for organized groups and schools reservation is required.