The Rocca di Dozza is the heart and symbol of the city, a monumental complex of medieval origin transformed by Caterina Sforza into a fortified castle and used, during the Renaissance, as a noble residence.
Its history is made up of architectural evolutions and transformations:
- 1300-1480: Medieval Fortress
- 1480-1554: Renaissance Fortress
- 1565-1594: Renaissance Residence
- 1795: Eighteenth-century residence
It has an architectural structure that today is in good condition. Starting in 1960 the Rocca was owned by the Municipality, which made it a House Museum open to the public. Inside it is possible to observe the interiors and kitchens in excellent condition, embellished with utensils, fireplaces and a well.
The noble rooms are still furnished with furniture of excellent workmanship; on the walls numerous paintings and tapestries dating back to the eighteenth century can still be admired. You can also visit the arms room, the prisons (with torture instruments) and the characteristic razor shaft. The fortress also houses a small but interesting art gallery, which also includes a collection of works by Norma Mascellani, a Bolognese painter who was awarded honorary citizenship.
The Rivellino and the Rocchetta of fourteenth-century origin are also worthy of attention.