the Cathedral of Bisaccia, located just a few steps from the ducal castle of Bisaccia, was built by the Normans, in a place not far from the current one. Razed to the ground for three times because of the frequent earthquakes that have struck Bisaccia in the course of the centuries, the Church today was finished in 1747, using part of the materials for the previous building.
A first time the church was destroyed because of the earthquake affected the Irpinia in 1456, but the will of the people was to start immediately the renovations that ended in 1515, as confirmed by a latin inscription visible on the portal in stone of the Cathedral. Then the building was destroyed on two other occasions in 1694 and in 1732. After the third seismic event it was decided to rebuild the cathedral near the castle, using some materials of the previous building.
The interior has three naves, preserves a wooden choir carved made in the course of the XVII century and the high altar in polychrome marbles, closed by a balustrade. The facade of the gothic style, preceded by a long scale, is characterized by a portal of 1515, surmounted by various bas-reliefs Romanesque-gothic retrieved from the building was rebuilt in 1515 and by a thick cornice.