Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta - What to see in Montepulciano - Castles, churches, monuments and museums - the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is located in the village of Montepulciano in Tuscany.
 
SEARCH IN AN AREA

Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta

What to see in Montepulciano, Siena

  • Piazza Grande, 4, Montepulciano (SI)

the cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta di Montepulciano was built between 1586 and 1680 in place of the ancient parish church of Santa Maria, whose rights plebani, acquired around the year 1000, originated from an ancient church placed outside the castle walls, where today is the church of San Biagio. The only surviving structure of the ancient Pieve is the massive bell tower in ashlars of travertine and brick. The apical portion, denoted by slender double lancet windows campanarie, was never completed. Incomplete is also the facade, a salient, whilst the sides, terminated by a coating of bricks and ashlars of travertine, are moved by Tuscan pilasters between which are inserted round arches.

Inside the warp architectural heritage, clear florentine ancestry, is austere and elegant for the sharpness of the surfaces to plaster that alternate with wall hangings in hewn stone. The plan is a latin cross divided into three naves by mighty pillars supporting round arches. In the central nave, in the transepts and in the apsidal scarsella, detected trabeations argue a barrel vault; at the intersection of two orthogonal bodies the angular plumes argue the drum (architecture) on which you set the dome. The side naves are covered by cross vaults; on the walls, in correspondence of each span, open chapels turn cask. A pillar of the right is leaned the pulpit is supported by ionic columns.

The vast spaces of the temple are adorned by a large number of art works. Some come from the ancient parish church and other churches poliziane. Among these one of the most important is the monumental triptych of the Assunta, painted by Taddeo di Bartolo in 1401, towering over the high altar. Another monument of primary importance is the fifteenth-century sepulchral monument of Bartolomeo Aragazzi, in Carrara marble, realized by Michelozzo between 1427 and 1436. Today the monument is divided into nine fragments of which seven are immured in different places in the Church: two statues and the frieze with putti and garlands are located on the main altar (dating back to the beginning of the XX century), the statue of the deceased is located in counter to the right, while two bas-reliefs depicting the Madonna who blesses the Aragazzi family and the farewell of the mother of the deceased members of his family are walled on the first columns of the Nave; two angels are preserved in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

We should also mention the small painting fifteenth-century on the table called the Madonna del Pilastro, realized by Sano di Pietro; the wooden statues policromate of the angel of the Annunciation and of the Vergine Annunziata, the work of Francesco di Valdambrino; the sixteenth-century table with the Redeemer of Bartolomeo Neroni called Riccio; the canvas effigiante San Sebastiano, work of the Florentine seventeenth century; in the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, the canvas was painted in 1830 by Luigi Ademollo. At the center of the first chapel on the left hand side, which constitutes the baptistery, is located the fourteenth-century baptismal font attributed to Giovanni di Agostino or Tino di Camaino. On the wall behind the so-called altar of lilies, terracotta polychrome glazed work of Andrea Della Robbia; the manufactured article dates back to 1512 approximately and is placed between two statues of unknown author depicting Saint Peter (left) and San Giovanni Battista (right). The composition by Della Robbia develops on two levels: the lower one presents figures erected four saints who, from left, are Santo Stefano, San Bonaventura, Santa Caterina da Siena and San Benedetto da Norcia; the upper one, instead, corresponds to the lunette with the Annunciation.

TAGS :

Visit Montepulciano

Events in Montepulciano

What to see nearby

Nobili-Tarugi Palace
Nobili-Tarugi Palace
The Nobili-Tarugi Palace is a noble palace of Montepulciano in Tuscany.
Piazza Grande, Montepulciano (SI)
0.06 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
Church of San Biagio
Church of San Biagio
The church of San Biagio is situated in the village of Montepulciano in Tuscany.
Via dei Canneti, 34, Montepulciano (SI)
0.54 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
St. Leonard's Church
St. Leonard's Church
St. Leonard's Church is located Montefollonico Tuscany.
Via Ansano Landucci, 44, Torrita di Siena (SI)
4.92 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
Piccolomini Palace
Piccolomini Palace
Piccolomini Palace of Pienza, in Tuscany, said also Pontifical Palace, was commissioned by Pope Pius II.
Corso il Rossellino, 28, Pienza (SI)
8.49 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
Pottery Museum
Pottery Museum
The Pottery Museum is located in the locality of Petroio, in the village of Trequanda, in Tuscany.
Via Valgelata 10, località Petroio,, Trequanda (SI)
9.32 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
St. Andrew's Church
St. Andrew's Church
the St. Andrew's Church is located in Castiglioncello del Trinoro, near Sarteano Tuscany.
Via di Mezzo, 2, località Castiglioncello del Trinoro, Sarteano (SI)
11.54 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
Fortress of Sarteano
Fortress of Sarteano
The fortress of Sarteano, in Tuscany, is a building surrounded by a double circle of walls with the male square and round towers at the sides.
Via del Forte, 57, Sarteano (SI)
13.28 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
collegiate church of San Lorenzo
collegiate church of San Lorenzo
The collegiate church of San Lorenzo in Sarteano Tuscany dates back to the beginning of the XIII century.
Piazza S. Lorenzo, 1, Sarteano (SI)
13.38 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
Church of St. Martin in Foro
Church of St. Martin in Foro
The Church of St. Martin in Foro of the village of Sarteano Tuscany, stood in the main square of the village, opposite to the town hall.
Costa Vallepiatta, 1, Sarteano (SI)
13.49 Kilometers from Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta

Most read articles of the month

Recipe: Stuffed Eggplants
Recipe: Stuffed Eggplants
A typical, simple and tasty dish of Calabrian cuisine that cannot be missed during Sunday lunch or during the holidays
By Redazione
Recipe: Potato pitta
Recipe: Potato pitta
The pizzaiola potato pitta is a typical Salento dish suitable for a dinner or an appetizer, to be enjoyed both hot and cold
By Redazione
The Easter panettone: La Pasimata della Garfagnana
The Easter panettone: La Pasimata della Garfagnana
An Easter cake typical of the city of Lucca and its surroundings. The pasimata della Garfagnana is characterized by the presence of raisins
By Redazione
Lombardy to taste: some of the typical traditional dishes in the most beautiful villages
Lombardy to taste: some of the typical traditional dishes in the most beautiful villages
The historic villages of Lombardy perfectly preserve the food and wine traditions of the area, thanks to the expert hands of the housewives who have been able to pass on the secrets of the oldest cuisine in this region.
By Redazione
e-borghi travel - la rivista per chi ama viaggiare tra borghi e turismo slow

Read e-borghi travel for free, your new travel magazine

With the patronage of