Akrai - What to see in Palazzolo Acreide - Castles, churches, monuments and museums - The ancient Greek colony of Akrai is situated in the village of Palazzolo Acreide, in Sicily.
 
SEARCH IN AN AREA

Akrai

According to Thucydides’ information, the ancient location of Akrai was chosen the Corinthian settlers to be built around 664/663 b. C., 70 years after foundation of Syracuse. Beside, the territory of Akrai was already inhabited during the prehistoric age. It is likely that in 827 a. C.
Akrai had been destroyed by the fury of the Arabic army of Aserd Ibn Al Forat, sharing thus the fate of other 98 Sicilian towns. Owing to this event the population, scattered for many years in the countryside, moned dynamically to the town, first to the southem part of the Acre Mount, the today’s St. Paul area.

THE THEATRE
The theatre is the most outstanding monument in the archaeological area of Akrai, called by the Hellenist Ettore Romagnoli the theatre of the sky for the peculiar impression of hanging – between the sky and the earth – that gives to the visitor, besides the exceptional view on the Anapo valley and on the horizon on the Etna Vulcan. Although the exact era when it was constructed is unknown, it seems plausible that it dates back to the time of Hieron II, therefore around the second half of the III century b. C. The Koilon, uncovered by Gabriele Judica in 1824, rested on natural slope which faces northwards, consisting of 8 step, 9 wedges and 12 row of seating, for a total 700 places. The little dimension of it explains the reason why it does not exist the diazoma. Differently from the other Greek theatres this one is not bigger than a semicircle, and mostly the two faces of the koilon don’t converge, as in any other ancient theatre, but diverge, which by far we hardly can find in any other ancient theatres. Another peculiarity, which makes the Akrai theatre unique, is the shape of the orchestra, which is a semicircle rather than a perfect circle and makes the scene seems incredible advanced compared to the usual classic standards. The existence of a narrow tunnel which links the theatre to the bouleuterion in the western side, is an uncommon construction and whose function has never been fully explained. The theatre was without the paradoi, in place of them there were two front doors beside the scene facing the koilon. The proskenion front was lined up on the wings end of the koilon a stylobate is still quite visible, made up of a course of squared blocks with 14 cavities. During the Roman age, such as many others Greek theatres, it underwent numerous alterations. On the scene are quite evident the remains of Byzantine mill.

THE APHRODITE’S TEMPLE
The Aphrodite Temple uncovered by Gabriele Judica thanks to a finding ogf an ancient inscription, known as Kaibel 217. this fact allowed the scholars to assert than in the ancient akrai there were 3 temples; the Aphrodision, consecrated to Venus, the love and beauty goddess, the Artemision, consecrated to Diane, the hunting goddess and Koreion, consecrated to Persephone, goddess of the agriculture. The most important of these temples, built around the IV century b.C., was no doubt, the Aphrodision, not only because of the location. It was in the middle of the Akrai sacral acropolis, in the highest part of the site, but also, as from discovered inscriptions. The priest of the temple was also the eponymous magistrate, that is to say the deputy to name the year. According to the reliable reconstruction offered by Bernabò Brea, the temple, located above the theatre, was made up of 6 Doric columns at the front and 13 on both sides for total of m. 18,30 for 39,50. It was a middle-size temple, not as big as temples in Syracuse.

THE BOULEUTERION
The Bouleuterion, uncovered around 1820 by the enthusiastic search of Gabriele Judica, was methodically studies in 1944 by the archaeologist Luigi Bernabò Brea. Initially mistaken for an odeon even by Paolo Orsi the true nature of it was uncovered by the German scholar Heinrich Bulle, the bouleuterion was a meeting place for the city’s senate (Boulè). It was considered of a koilon with a small semicircular orchestra facing westwards, six rows of seat divided in three wedges with two small steps for the total number of hundred seats. The building was probably connected to public facilities such as the agorà.

ROAD AXIS
The extremely interesting city road system attracted the attention of experts for its particularities. The main axis platea or decuman, connecting the two city gates, cut across the populated area from east to west and off this flowed small arteries stenopoi heading north/south. The main road, fitted with a splendid and well preserved lava paving, is on average, four metres wide and with intermittent spaces of about twenty-five metres, was crossed over by smeller not paved side streets. Thosa small streets did not cross the main road squarely, but diagonally because of, according to some scholars, the need of tempering the strong wind in the area.

THE STONE QUARRIES
In the archaeological park of Akrai there are big stone quarries. The Intagliata is the biggest latomia. It was accessed through a door which is still clearly visible, situated under the theatre. Inside this quarry there are hypogea and arcosolium burial grounds from the Christian Age.
The Intagliatella, whose northern part was called Via Sacra, is characterised by a series of votive niches, tombs from various eras as well as houses from Byzantine era. The aspect which characterises most this area and monopolizes the attention of the visitors as well as the experts, is the existence of a descriptive bas-relief (approx 2,13 x 0,83 m). it represents, to the left, a sacrificial scene, to the right a banquet of the heroes and, at the centre, the figure of a roman warrior, whose role was the junction of two patterns, in the process of making a propitiatory or thanksgiving sacrifice.

TAGS :

Visit Palazzolo Acreide

Events in Palazzolo Acreide

What to see nearby

The Santoni
The Santoni
A few meters beyond the village of Palazzolo Acreide, in Sicily, you find via dei Santoni.
Via Dei Santoni, 3, Palazzolo Acreide (SR)
0.60 Kilometers from Akrai
Antonino Uccello House Museum
Antonino Uccello House Museum
Antonino Uccello, creator of the Casa Museo in the village of Palazzolo Acreide, in Sicily, was a poet and anthropologist.
Via Machiavelli, 19, Palazzolo Acreide (SR)
0.86 Kilometers from Akrai
The Church of San Sebastiano
The Church of San Sebastiano
the first church dedicated to San Sebastiano in borgo di Palazzolo Acreide, in Sicily, was built toward the end of the XV century
Piazza del Popolo, 1, Palazzolo Acreide (SR)
0.95 Kilometers from Akrai
Mother Church of San Nicolò Vescovo
Mother Church of San Nicolò Vescovo
The Mother Church of the village of Palazzolo Acreide, in Sicily, dates back to 1215.
Piazza Aldo Moro, 6, Palazzolo Acreide (SR)
1.04 Kilometers from Akrai
Saint Paul's Church
Saint Paul's Church
Paul was chosen as patron of the village of Palazzolo Acreide, in Sicily, in 1688.
Piazza S. Paolo, 6, Palazzolo Acreide (SR)
1.07 Kilometers from Akrai
Gabriele Judica Archaeological Museum
Gabriele Judica Archaeological Museum
Gabriele Judica, has linked its name to the discovery of Akrai, in Sicily.
Via Gaetano Italia, 36, Palazzolo Acreide (SR)
1.10 Kilometers from Akrai
Annunziata's Church
Annunziata's Church
The church of the Annunziata is considered to be among the most ancient and the most beautiful churches of Palazzolo Acreide, in Sicily.
Via Fontana Secca, 6, Palazzolo Acreide (SR)
1.30 Kilometers from Akrai
Church of San Bartolomeo
Church of San Bartolomeo
Church of San Bartolomeo is located in the village of Giarratana, in Sicily.
Via Ruggero Settimo, 961, Giarratana (RG)
9.12 Kilometers from Akrai
Emigration Iblean Museum
Emigration Iblean Museum
The Emigration Iblean Museum of Giarratana, in Sicily, is part of the network of the Sicilian Emigration museums.
Via Nino Bixio, 102, Giarratana (RG)
9.15 Kilometers from Akrai

Most read articles of the month

Four steps ... in 4 fortified villages
Four steps ... in 4 fortified villages
Poker of aces of fortified villages to go to the discovery of history and curiosities. Legends intertwined with art and architecture, medieval or renaissance epics that reveal to the visitor all the uniqueness of these Italian jewels
By Luciana Francesca Rebonato
4 villages not to be missed for designer craftsmanship
4 villages not to be missed for designer craftsmanship
Four Italian villages that stand out for their craftsmanship, the essence of an ancient art handed down over the centuries. A journey into typicality, emotional itineraries that point the spotlight on uniqueness
By Luciana Francesca Rebonato
Sperlonga, the ancient Pearl of the Empire
Sperlonga, the ancient Pearl of the Empire
Sperlonga, a small center of the Riviera of Ulysses, is a continuous surprise between panoramas and characteristic glimpses where you must be guided exclusively by curiosity
By Luca Sartori
Recipe: spaghetti with anchovy sauce, a typical dish of the Amalfi Coast
Recipe: spaghetti with anchovy sauce, a typical dish of the Amalfi Coast
Colatura di Alici is a traditional product that over the years has gastronomically characterized the small fishing village of Cetara
By Redazione
Aci Trezza, Cyclops and Acireale
Aci Trezza, Cyclops and Acireale
The Riviera dei Ciclopi, which takes its name from the islands in front, is that stretch of Sicilian coast that goes from Aci Castello to Acireale
By Redazione
Genga, the Guinness nature
Genga, the Guinness nature
For art and culture enthusiasts, the Marche village of Genga tells its story through its historic buildings, its churches and museums
By Luca Sartori
e-borghi travel - la rivista per chi ama viaggiare tra borghi e turismo slow

Read e-borghi travel for free, your new travel magazine

With the patronage of