Devin Castle is situated in the village of Duino, in Friuli Venezia Giulia. Owned for more than 420 years of the Della Torre family, branch of the Tower of Valsassina (von Thurn-Hofer und Valsassina) before and of the principles of the tower and then Rate. Since 2003 - together with its park - open to the public. From manor house enjoys a vast panorama on the steep rocky walls overhanging the sea. In the park you will find a bunker used during the second world war.
The history of the Thurn und Taxis lineage is linked to the management of the postal services, as exercised this activity in various European countries, including Italy, Austria, Germany, Hungary and the Netherlands from 1400 onwards, for more than 350 years. The castle was built on the ruins of a Roman outpost and incorporates a tower of the sixteenth century. Its building was commissioned in 1389 by Ugone of Duino, captain of Trieste, in replacement of the Castelvecchio dating back to the X century, of which are still visible the ruins on a rocky spur overlooking the sea. In this castle the writer and poet Rainer Maria Rilke conceived and began in 1912 the composition of elegies duinesi while he was on a visit to Princess Maria della Torre and Rate (born Hohenlohe). Rilke Subsequently he dedicated his work to the noblewoman, that was one of his greatest supporters.
The castle is linked, moreover, the legend of the Dama Bianca, the wife of one of the lords of the castle, from these thrown into the sea and then transformed into the rock visible today in the bay in front of the coast.