The most complete online resource about slow tourism and Italian villages
Join our community

Church of the Confraternity of Santa Marta

What to see in Agliè, Torino, Piedmont


Share

Of the old church, unfortunately, we only know that it existed as early as 1619, and on December 21st 1595 the faculty of celebrating Mass was granted. When, in 1730, the small oratory was declared unfit, the project for the construction of a new church adapted to the new needs was entrusted to the architect Costanzo Michela.

The external modeling does not follow the internal one but has its own logic linked to the environmental context. The structure appears in all the elegant simplicity of the Piedmontese terracotta, enriched only by the polychrome enamelled terracotta of Castellamonte. Compared to the local tradition, the brick becomes an explosion of color: the concave façade is played on curved parts and flat parts that create a full-empty, light-shadow effect from which desired buttons emerge.

The left side of the church is made even more musical by the curious triangular bell tower built in 1787 by Giuseppe Domenico Morano on a design by Michela himself. Passing inside, one notices the stucco that has not only decorative value but, with its white, wooden sculpture and furnishings, becomes a sort of architecture giving rise to an atypical situation in Italian culture, but frequent in Spanish architecture.

The spirit of extreme freedom is also noted in the continuous game of curves that divides the interior into defined spaces: an area for the faithful with two altars and the tribune on the portal for the choir, the presbytery, the tribunes for the members of the confraternity, the sacristy, the beautiful wooden choir for the confreres, accessed via two semi-elliptical stone side steps. Even the furnishings become part of the church's architecture; the central icon depicting the Assumption emerges, Santa Marta with the dragon (symbol of the Saint who is also found in the capitals of the choir with chains like festoons) and St. John the Baptist, embedded in a rich lacquered and gilded wooden frame sculptor Giuseppe Argentera of Ivrea. Worthy of mention is the copy of the SS. Shroud, the work of a certain Fantinus, dated 1708.

Guided tours every day by appointment only.

Contact Church of the Confraternity of Santa Marta

I want to receive the newsletter
  • Religious location
  • Suitable for disabled people

Sleep, eat, buy...

Farmhouse La Desiderata
A lovely location featuring a beautiful garden with terrace among the hills of Piedmont, in Agliè
Strada per Feletto, 2,
Marco Rolando Sculptor
In the village of Ceresole Reale, there is the workshop of Marco Rolando, a master carver famous ...
Borgata Capoluogo, 5, Ceresole Reale (Torino)
5101.35 Kilometers from
= distances as the crow flies
= distances as the crow flies

Events

sunday
2
july, 2023

San Massimo

what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2022 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Via Achille Grandi 46, 20017, Rho (Milano) | 02 92893360