Built under the domain of Raimondello Orsini and finished in 1391, the Cathdral is the most important and representative monument of Galatina. Inside it preserves a frescoes cycle that narrates moments from old and new Testament. Philippe Daverio considers the Cathedral Cateriniana as: "The first western place where internationalism reaches its own language, where cultures that are from Flanders, from France, generally from the countries of northern Europe, you represent in pictorial cycles. It is a place where transport of the gentiles comes through the transport of myths and the transport of myths passes through the images".
Santa Caterina d'Alessandria is "a church with unexpected linguistic crossings" for which it is not true to say that "Galatina could be a place of thought for the Europe of tomorrow, on the assumption that the intercultural dialog and religious is the past and it is represented in the infinite narration of the frescoed walls, abstract of a century and a half of awarenesses (by Giotto, at the beginning of the fourteenth century until the end of the fifteenth century when already is in progress the Renaissance)".