The online resource on slow and experiential tourism
Join our community

Medieval Castle

What to see in Riccia, Campobasso, Molise

The castle was built by the Angevins: in 1285 Bartolomeo di Capua gave to Charles of Anjou, employee from the center of Gambatesa. In 1400 it was inhabited by the countess constancy of Chiaromonte. In the sixteenth century it passed to Bartolomeo III who transformed it into a true military stronghold. However in 1799 a popular uprising destroyed the facade of the castle. The castle is today preserved in the form not integrates: missing some parts of the fortified enclosure and some towers. The courtyard is well preserved, as well as the tower and the Palazzo Ducale, which today houses the Museum of Fine Arts. The castle had plant fence triangular.

The Castle is situated on the boundary of a rocky projection. High almost twenty meters, has cylindrical plant and conserves on top a crowning achievement of corbels in stone. The entrance portal, well visible and still bears the inscription with the name of Bartolomeo on the upper plate and the two coats of arms, even if partly illegible.
Inside overlap three rooms, today connected by spiral staircases, each with quadrangular window. The entrance is reached thanks to a short stairway in iron. Particular is the reservoir for the water, entirely dug in the rock below the tower, in the deepest part of which are preserved the remains of prisons with the related chambers of torture. Next to the main tower also remains a secondary turret, in defense of the entrance and the drawbridge.

The main tower had as function of Lookout, given its dominant position on the whole of the valley, and constituted the main tower of the castle that belonged to Di Capua. There are no dates on the construction of the castle of Riccia, but almost certainly the building dates, like so many other defensive settlements Molise to the Longobard age. The first works carried out on the fortress dates back to 1285 and were commissioned by Bartolomeo di Capua, feudatory angioino; in 1515 the castle was restored by Prince Bartolomeo III of Capua. The residential environments were those most plundered from the XIX century, in order to integrate different architectural elements in the nearby homes of the inhabited center. The residence of the princes had to be very comfortable and well decorated especially after the renaissance period. A rich library, frescoed halls, valuable furniture and ceramics of epoch. All embellished with expensive fabrics, paintings of value and fireplaces with slabs of local stone carved.

Another element that testifies to the great accuracy in the definition of the particular, inter alia unusual in the context of a building intended for military use, is the troniera that opens toward the plane of the Court, in the southern tower, softened by decoration present in two ashlars that constitute the side jambs.

  • Viale F. Ciccaglione, 20-24, Riccia (Campobasso)
  • 0874 716904
  • Castle, fortress

Sleep, eat, buy...

Osteria del Borgo
The Osteria del Borgo is located in the historic center of Larino, in Molise.
Via Cluenzio, 44, Larino (Campobasso)
4882.77 Kilometers from Riccia
= distances as the crow flies
= distances as the crow flies


august, 2024

Sant'Agostino - Patron Saint

september, 2024

Grape Festival

march, 2025

Festa di San Giuseppe

april, 2025

Fires of San Vitale

july, 2025

Festa della Madonna del Carmine

what else do you want
to discover?
e-borghi 2019-2024 All rights reserved • 3S Comunicazione - P. IVA 08058230965
Via Achille Grandi 46, 20017, Rho (Milano) | 02 92893360